Depending on your condition, you may put the collar on while lying down or standing up. The following instructions work for either position. If you need to put your collar on while lying down, remember to keep it by your bedside so you can easily reach it without getting up.
Putting the collar on:
- Before you start, make sure that the ‘dip’ in the collar is on the top; the dip is the front of the collar and sits under your chin. The Velcro straps go around to the back of your neck.
- Keeping your head still, place the ‘dip’ of the collar under your chin and against your throat. The top, inside edge of the collar should sit at the place where your chin meets your neck.
- Slide each side of the collar around the back of your neck to attach the Velcro. If needed, you may roll onto your side if you were taught how by a therapist. The collar should be snug enough to be in contact with your neck all the way around.
Adjusting the Collar When Up
- Once you are up, check the overall fit of the collar in a mirror.
- If an adjustment is needed, you may release and reattach the strap, but you must hold your head and neck in a straight line.
Checking the Fit
When the collar has been properly fit:
- Your head and neck should be in a neutral position (that means in a straight line).
- The collar should be in contact with your neck all the way around.
- The top, inside edge of the collar should sit at the place where your chin meets your neck.
- Your chin should come out over the top of the collar.
- When checking the fit, think to yourself “comfortable yet snug.”
Taking your collar off
Remove the collar while lying with your spine in a neutral position. Detach the Velcro behind your head and gently slide the collar away from your neck. Reattach the Velcro for storing while not in use.